Jan 28, 2019
The Village of Endicott is named after Henry B. Endicott, founder of the Endicott Shoe Factory. In 1899, Mr. Endicott partnered with his factory foreman, George F. Johnson, to form the Endicott-Johnson Corporation (E-J). The Endicott community was planned by E-J and in 1906, the Village of Endicott was incorporated. Within six-weeks, the new Village of Endicott established a police force. At that time, the neighboring Village of Union (now known as the Union District) was separate from Endicott and had its own police department.During the first two-years the Endicott police force was in operation, three men vied for Village Board approval as the head of the department. Mr. George Towne was awarded the job, at a $50 per month salary. Mr. Towne served as the Chief and made up the entire police department. Mr. J.J. Murphy and Mr. L.A.Wilder were designated as special police to assist Chief Towne when called upon, at a rate of .25 cents per hour “while working.”
Chief Towne served for one year and was the entire police force. He was succeeded by Frank Evans, who served through the end of 1907. James Conlon succeed Mr. Evans, serving from January through April, 1908, when he resigned.